Our Journey

Our Journey
Est. June 28th, 2003

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A typical day or not....

Sunday was rather interesting, but then again, maybe interesting is becoming the new normal around here. When Jonathan is working on Sundays, my goal is to make it through sacrament and then if I'm that lucky, I cross my fingers and pray real hard throughout the meeting that I don't have to leave. By now, our ward family is not too surprised when I load up my children and drag them to the R.S. room. Last week I had to barricade the doors so Kian couldn't escape. I was disappointed that the door to get to the intercom that transmits sacrament meeting was locked, so I tried to drown out obnoxious children with the sweet melodies of playing hymns on the piano. This lasted for about 3 minutes. The rest of the time was spent wrestling Kian and threatening Chase. IT was rather exhausting to say the least and gladly I tossed Kian off at nursery and stomped Chase to primary where I played for 2 hours straight, maybe a little too ferociously...that is until my nerves calmed. I love my calling! This week, I had higher hopes as Jonathan was available to help. He and Kian spent a lot of sacrament meeting out in the hall and I thought things were going great until Sophia decided to swallow the water cup. She screamed as I fished it out of her mouth and our Sunday adventure began. After calming her down and going to the bathroom, we headed back in. I had been sitting in my seat for about 5 minutes when Chase excitedly yelled out "Look Mom! A SPERM Whale." (He loves his coloring book with all kinds of animals). Ok, so that's really not that bad, but the people behind us were probably a little curious and I was just a little bit embarrassed. As a side note, Chase is an animal expert thanks to his favorite show "Wild Kratts". He knows quite a lot about animals and can spout off random facts. If you want a real challenge, try playing charades with him. Just when you think you've pinned it down to a dog, he'll say, "Nope, I'm a dingo" (a dog in Australia). Or better yet, he's not just a badger, he's a Honey Badger, or an American something or other. IT's hilarious! So back to the adventure. After settling into Primary where I before mentioned I am the pianist, Sophia came over and told me she needed to go potty. This is a big deal as I can finally announce that she is trained (hallelujah!) I wasn't needed for the time being and with 11 sunbeams in her class, I figured I could help out so I took her to the bathroom. We had to wait for a minute and just as the door opened, I hear the Primary President call out a song, Sophia stepped into the bathroom and "Click" locked the door behind her. (I should have known not to let her go in alone). What's a mom and the primary pianist to do? Well, I figured she'd be in there for a while, that's what happens when she wants privacy, so I headed over to the piano and started playing. Then I motioned to Kaidence to go get Sophia. Well, you can imagine that Sophia being the independent that she is, would not let Kaidence in the door. Kaidence ran back to inform me of that as I played along on the piano, (I'm getting rather good at multitasking in this calling...) so that's when we called for her teacher. To no avail, then the R.S. president tried, no luck. Sophia decided she was locked in so they called for the Bishop who had to find the keys and finally unlocked Sophi Cloe from the bathroom. Nice...... Well, my new saying as we leave the church and pile into the car is "WE SURVIVED" and let me tell you, THAT IS a Big deal too! Jonathan's calling as ward financial clerk requires that he stay after for a few hours but he helps me load the kids in the car and reminds me how we need to come up with some real consequences for our unruly children. I smile and drive away. :) It's like "day sha vu" every week. :)
I get the kids home and chase them around until clothes are changed, we have lunch and then I demand that they play downs stairs and they obediently do in "wild Indian" fashion. I try to relax and put myself back together. Sunday afternoons usually call for regrouping and new strategies as parents. This week, I'm supposed to hold Sophia and Kian on my lap and watch conference talks in order to train them to sit still for sacrament meeting next week. (That was Jonathan's idea). Wish me luck. I'm sure this will be helpful, nonetheless, I'm exhausted thinking about it. :)
Just to top off the day that I just dramatized for you, :), Jonathan, being the wonderful and helpful husband that he always is, decided to put Chase's eye drops in for him before he went to bed. (I usually am in charge of this)...Well, guess what? Jonathan put them in the wrong eye, which said drops dialate his eye for 24 hours. Poor Chase. He had to go to school the next day blind as a bat. Now that's a new perspective isn't it. :) I guess I should let this day pass. And just so you know, this has been fun and therapeutic writing about. Are we a typical family? Probably not, but at least we have a lot of good laughs. :) :)

5 comments:

Marci Mendoza said...

Mindi...you REALLY need to publish a book. My eyes are so filled with the tears from laughing that I could hardly finish your post!
Love ya....

Staci Rocha said...

i always get a good laugh reading about what your kids do :) It's always funny after it all happens and it's good that you can write about it!! As a mother i feel your emotions of what Sundays are like!! For every warning my kids get during Sacrament meeting they have to come home and sit in the corner, 10 minutes for every warning. My Dallin has sat in the corner for a good hour after church and he does not like it. It shows them and me THAT THEY ARE CAPABLE of sitting still for that long. They don't get a snack either until they finish there time in the corner. That has worked well for my kids :) At first they all spent some good time in the corner after church and it gradually got better. I liked the quiet time they had in the corner, it confined them and allowed me to relax.

Good luck my friend,the joys of parenting our kids. You are not alone of what you are going through. It always feels good to vent and swap stories with other mothers. You are a wonderful Mom!!!

wilfordfamily2003 said...

Thanks Gals. WE actually practice reverence on chairs at home and I think Chase has sat for at least an hour too. I keep thinking that he'll finally get it. Some weeks are much better than others. :) It's so great to be a mom though and I'm so glad to be able to laugh about it. :)

Heather S. said...

You know, I think that is typical for any family, at least large family. We are dealing with so many of the same types of issues. If my John said I needed to sit with the two youngest on my lap and watch conference talks to teach them to sit still I'd laugh in his face and tell HIM to do it instead.

Teddy said...

You sweet wonderful woman. I would kill my husband if he suggesting practicing for Sunday before having to actually endure it! Love you Jonathan :-) Wow. So glad your next Sunday was smoother sailing. I love reading your posts. You are so multi-faceted and I know you'll survive!

p.s. one Sunday I wrote in my journal that I just felt hateful on Sunday so what is the point??? But then Tom got up to bear his testimony. . . . . point taken.