Our Journey

Our Journey
Est. June 28th, 2003

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Oh Well, it's just hair

It pains me to write this post, but some say blogging is therapeutic for the soul and well, I need some therapy after today. :)
There comes a time in every girls life when to their horror and dismay they receive the worst haircut in their life.
Well, TODAY WAS THAT DAY of ALL DAYS in the Wilford family household, namely parental unit # 1. (Kaidence). Here's our sad tale....
After an unsuccessful attempt to establish "quiet time" this afternoon, I let Kaidence pick a "quiet activity" and told her to stay upstairs while I enjoyed some quiet time ironing clothes downstairs. I guess she apparently got bored and found some excitement in creating her own hair fashion. I cannot even describe in words the profound feeling of shock that took over my body when Kaidence non-chalantly meandered down our stairs looked me straight in the eyes (as if I wouldn't notice the change in her hairline) and asked me point blank if it would be ok for her to watch TV. I gasped, and after coming up for air, blurted out, "you didn't just cut your hair Kaidence?" (Why are mothers so good at stating the obvious?) I marched her straight upstairs and told her to stay in her room while I sorted it all out because I wasn't sure what I was going to do with her. :) Well, after pulling myself together, I went in her room and asked her, "What do you think we should do?" Without skipping a beat Kaidence said, "Well, I think we should go to bed and wake up in the morning and it will be back.") If only those kind of wishes came true... I took Kaidence in the bathroom and we both lamented the consequence in the mirror. I asked her, "Do you think this looks pretty?" (I hope I didn't scar her for life.) She was in as much shock as I was. I went through all the motherly questions like, "What were you thinking?" "Why did you cut your hair?" and so on....Then I made her promise me over and over that she would Never, EVER do a thing like that again. I think she got it after I mentioned it for the 10th time. I wasn't sure if I should take her to a hair dresser or try my hand at creating bangs for her. After some thought and speculation, I went for the latter and we both prayed it would be successful. Kaidence's reaction as she watched those long strands of hair fall to the bathroom floor was ..."Man, why did I cut my hair?" and then when I finished, I actually laughed when she looked in the mirror and said, "Aaagh, my hair looks like grass". Well, what could I say...I did my best. On a positive note, I can think of many other things she could have done to her hair that would have been much worse. Like cutting it across the side or taking a big chunk out of the back..... You know on second thought, I think she did a pretty good job, of making a not so bad of a terrible hair-cut. :)

Well, I know I'm being a little bit dramatic, in fact, the pictures really do not do my story justice.

But, just for accuracy, please note she did take a cut right smack dab in the middle of her forhead and stopped just in time to make some use of some bangs.
Oh Well, it's just hair.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Min, but that was the best laugh I have had all day. :) Her wit is so funny and it could have been worse. I think you handled it pretty well. I can only imagine the horror though.
When I told Em what Kaidence had done she informed me that Kaidence had been pretending to cut her hair while we were there. Funny girl.
She's not the first to do that, that's for sure.

Alicia said...

Oooo I am so sorry. She really does have the prettiest hair. You did a great job with the bangs! You are the second person in 2 days to tell me their little girl cut their own hair. Good thing hair grows

Heather S. said...

I remember when Alexa did that, I about died. Kids are so fun. I think her bangs turned out great. Good job!

Unknown said...

It's so cute that she thought they'd grow back in the morning! I've had many a haircut where I wished that were true.

Teddy said...

First Reaction "JUST HAIR? It's never just hair with us is it;)"

But your post about it is so humorous and horribly wonderful. It makes me recall my own hair cutting experience. I can still remember feeling sick once the damage was done. Those scissors were just so sharp and I loved the sound they made cutting through the strands of hair.

You did a rockin' job with the bangs, and she couldn't not look cute!

p.s. at least it's not green!

wilfordfamily2003 said...

So true Teddy. :) I thought the same thing about Anne's green hair. I'm not sure what is worse though, having a bad hair cut or watching it fall out day after day. This post pregnancy hair of mine is pretty scary. :) Love ya!

Teddy said...

I'm due for another hair post soon. . . . it never ends:S

Maren said...

I keep waiting for the day that this happens to us. Great job on the bangs Mindi. She is still as cute as ever!

Nicole said...

Girls aren't the only ones that cut their hair, although it is a bit more dramatic. Gage cut his hair Christmas eve just before we were heading to some friends house. He cut it in at least 4 different places all the way to the scalp! I was so frustrated... mostly because I now had to try to make it look somewhat presentable before we left. It is now 3 months and 2 haircuts later and you can still tell where he cut it. I think cutting your own hair is some kind of passage of childhood, nearly every kid does it at some point... let's just hope she learned her lesson and doesn't try it again. I think the bangs look cute!