Our Journey

Our Journey
Est. June 28th, 2003

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Viva Las Vegas

*This is a special post dedicated to my all time favorite teacher Rebecca Clack, who tagged me several weeks ago and now finally I'm responding.
*In response to her query about my "life in Vegas" and 10 wierd or random facts about myself, I thought I would share some of the reasons I find myself here in "Sin City" (as some would refer to it) and what I'm learning.
1) Jonathan and I came for Blake and Judi's wedding back in 2004 and while having a good time, we both declared we for sure would never live in Las Vegas. (Of all places, like you Rebecca, I never imagined myself here). In the fall of 2004 we left La Grande, Oregon where Jonathan finished his Bachelor's in Bio Chemistry at Eastern Oregon Universtiy. He had not yet been accepted to Medical school and so we decided to go home to Star Valley for a year. Kaidence was born in Afton, Wyoming 2005. Jonathan started out working for my Dad and Eloy at Nield's Custom Meat Processing Plant, and then in January took a substitute teaching job for Lincoln County School District. We loved being home, but it became very clear to us that Jonathan needed to pursue his dream of Medical School. Applying again and accepting a few interviews, he was put on the waiting list at both Touro University Nevada and Touro San Francisco, California.
As a back up plan, Jonathan decided to apply to UNLV here in Las Vegas for a Master's Degree in Public Health with an emphasis in Health Promotion. When we contintued to wait, and wait, hoping for a spot at medical school, Jonathan gained his acceptance to UNLV and we took the plunge and found ourselves packing for the dessert of Nevada. With grateful hearts we took our first room and board here with our dear sister-in-law Judi for a month while we searched for a place of our own. Jonathan started his program the end of August 2005 and was also blessed to find a job working at Family Doctor's of Green Valley where he gained 2 years of incredible and crucial experience as a medical assistant. This later earned him a spot at Touro University when he applied again in 2006. He just finished his first year of Medical School. YEAH! ---Now, while on a little summer break he is finishing his Master's Project and will graduate with that the end of the summer ----(sigh of relief).
2)Now...for the things I've learned part. First, Vegas is not all bad, though BLACK AND WHITE would better describe it. Yes, there are a whole lot of things I really don't want to know are going on around here and the lights of Vegas are definately blaring you in the face if you look at any bill boards or advertisements on buses and taxis. But, in all due respect, I've met some of the greatest people on earth here.
3) I know I complain an awful lot about the heat, and cockroaches, but come October I'll remember why people like to spend their time here. Practically every day is a Sunny Day and the weather is most pleasant 8 out of the 12 months...and that's a bit better average than most places.
4) I've learned to drive like I've never driven before. This could be good and bad, but hey, I keep up in this city and I exit when I want to and I try not to let those darn people who run red lights get to me (as much) as they used too. Sometimes it is amusing to lay on the horn and take out my (road rage) on those kinds of people, but hey, I'm adjusting.
5) I've had the most amazing experiences in this city, watching Kaidence grow, walk, learn to talk, and experiencing childhood for the second time through her eyes.
6) I had the blessed opportunity to have our baby boy Chase here in Henderson, Nevada and experience the joy of being a stay at home mother. I couldn't really ask for more than this.
7) Most recently, our big news is expecting number 3 early in December and the fact that we are not finding out the sex of the baby will make it that much more suspensful, memorable and annoying to some family members (sorry).
8) Jonathan and I have been able to do some pretty neat things in this City, like see our friend perform in Mystere, tickets to O, and KA (Cirque De Sol Shows) and also La Reve, and numerous trips to the Bellagio to see the gardens and the fountain shows and great places to eat on special budgeted occasions have all been fun and memorable.
9) Some goals for the future would be to go on a trip just the two of us to Hollywood and see Wicked. We would also love to take the kids to see the ocean and Disney Land.
10) Recently, I had my first set of stitches (excluding all the ones I've had inside my mouth) when I came into full body contact with the asphalt in front of our car on Sunday and split open my chin. (I was dashing to catch Chase before he ran into the street). It scared me half to death and I'm still trying not to think about the "what if's" of the situation. I thank my Father in Heaven for watching over us and for the kind doctor Jonathan works for that came to the office on Sunday afternoon to put a few stitches in. Thank you Dr. Ram and Jonathan (he is a great medical assistant and pre-Doctor).
*I hope this sums up why we are here and this Life in Las Vegas we are living.
I hope you will come visit me sometime Rebecca. We have had more visitors here than anywhere else we have lived.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
If you're reading this, I promise I won't let you down.......I'm still trying to think what to write :)
Mindi~so fun to go back down memory lane with you. I'm sure you have experienced many things that some could not even imagine!!!
(The Walmart in Henderson for one. LOL!)

Alicia said...

Congratulations! I am so excited youre having number 3! Yeah for babies! Are you planning on still living in the same place.

Teddy said...

I love visiting you in Vegas! What fun you guys are having, especially the shows. I want to see all the Cirque shows some day. Then I will want to be in them:) Miss you guys!

Rebecca Clack said...

Congratulations on the baby! How exciting to have a baby in December. Hmmm. . .I think there was another baby born in December. . .double blessing!

Nancy said...

What! Baby #3? I had no idea. Congrats and so sorry about your stiches:( What a bummer. It is amazing what we do for our little kiddo's.

blair and maisy said...

We never imagined ourselves here either, but it's been fun. The worst part is the summer heat- October won't be here soon enough!