Here's to the two most influential Twins in our Lives.
Happy Twin Day Dona and Dora!
We Miss You!
I don't know if we were Juniors or Seniors in High School when Marci and I decided we needed a day to celebrate being Twins. It was funny because we decided to both pick a day and if it happened to be the same one then we would know it was meant to be "twin day". What do you know? We both said "March 7th." So since that day, we have faithfully acknowleded our twinhood every March 7th. Of course, we celebrate it every day of our lives as we feel it is one of our greatest blessings.
People have often asked us what it is like to be a twin and I guess since we have never known anything differently we have a hard time answering that question. But what I can tell you is this:
Being a Twin means:
1) Heavenly Father knew I needed someone right there cheering me along this journey of life. I have no doubt that Marci and I were inseparable before and that this life is just a continuation of our friendship that started long ago.
2)It's a rare and beautiful friendship to find someone just as invested in everything you do, everything you worry about, and everything you dream about. The amazing element is that even in my greatest weakness, I can confide in Marci and never worry about being criticized or judged. With her, I have always been safe and even protected from my own harsh judgements. I wish everyone had someone like that.
3)When we were little, "we", "us" and "ours" was the only language we knew. We shared everthing and if we ever got something we would always grab 2, the philosophy "one for me and one for you" just seemed right.
4)I can honestly say that Marci and I did not fight when we were growing up. We must have settled everthing while in the womb (poor Mom, we really did a number on her ribs):). To this day I can't even recall an argument. I'm sure we had our moments, but they never lasted long enough to even have time to apologize. For that, I am so grateful.
5)We dressed alike until about Jr. High. (I had it real easy then because every night Marci would set out everything on our dresser that we would be wearing to school the next day, right down to underware and socks). She kept me organzied. Then when we decided to wear different clothes, we had a double wardrobe. It was great. (I remember how much I disliked trying on dresses when we would go shopping so Marci would do all the work of trying things on and I would say if I liked them or not.) I had it made.
6)When we were really small and it was more difficult to tell us apart, everyone would pull up the sleves on our left arms to see who had the scar. The scar was mine, and that's how many people told us apart.
7)We've learned some of life's most important social skills being twins like taking turns holding up the sunlight for eachother on many occasions, competing with and never against eachother in every thing we have done. In storm and sun, we have always known whose turn it was to be the supporter and who needed to be supported.
8)I could go on and on, but since eight is a good number and can be divided by 2 equally, I just want to say Happy Twin Day to all you twins out there, and Thank You to Marci for being the BEST TWIN IN THE WORLD.
4 comments:
Hi Min,
It was fun seeing the pictures, especially of Dona and Dora. You are so thoughtful and I Know that you Know I feel the same. We are TWICE Blessed.
Happy Twin Day,
Love ya,
Marci
Just reading your post makes me wish I had a twin. You two are really great people and are the nicest twins I know! Thanks for your friendship!
How fun to have your own day to celebrate twin day! You two are definitely two of a kind. You both are so inspiring, so kind and I could go on and on with a huge list of your amazing qualities.
Cute Pictures!
Hi Mindy! Annie Vance-Ballard here (my dad did Geyser in Afton). I just got in touch with your sister-in-law Amanda since we are literally living 5 miles away from each other out here in D.C. She sent me a link to your blog so I have spent the last 15 minutes reading your blog. I had no idea that you married Jon. How wonderful! What a perfect match. I have to tell you, I empathize completely with you on the whole husband always gone coming home late thing. My husband is doing his surgical residency right now which makes me practically a widow. I am glad the sacrifice is short and worth it.
I'd love to send you an invite to view our family blog so when you get a chance shoot me an e-mail. vanceannie@hotmail.com
Post a Comment