Our Journey

Our Journey
Est. June 28th, 2003

Monday, March 10, 2008

Keeping it Real

Have you ever had one of those days? You know... when try as you might, you just seem to keep finding yourself in a rut. WEll, today was one of those days for me. If you've been reading my blog, you might remember the mishap or misfortune we had with our vehicles recently parked on the side of the street. It seems either Jonathan and I just have bad luck with Buick, Centurys or parking on the street, or most likely both. *Just as a side note to indulge your imagination*.While Jonathan and I were on our honeymoon our (then 1999 GREEN Buick Century) was parked (of course on the street by my sisters house. I guess you might say the "Real World" hit us smack in the face when my sister picked us up at the airport a week later driving a rental car. We learned that a well meaning, very nice garbage truck driver lady forgot to put the Huge Arm Thing (you know that picks up the big dumpsters) back in position and as luck would have it swiped it across our car, openning it like a can of sardines. The car was totaled, but being in love as we were...we knew life would go on and soon we were driving our second 1999 Buick Century, only this time it is Red. Now, it's looking like good ol' Red is totaled and again, we find ourselves hasseling with insurances and rental cars. So this is where my rut began today. Jonathan made an appointment for our Van to be inspected for damage and so I dropped it off and as promised showed up at Hertz just in time to rent a little Bright Red Chevy Cobalt "tiny bopper" car. The guy was nice but being naive as I was, managed to talk me into paying the extra X amount of dollars every day to insure the car while we were driving it for the week. I'm such a weanie, but heck, with our luck, why not? So I said yes, had them charge it to our credit card and then I took some frustrating time trying to get the kid's SUMO car seats securely situated in the back. [After being spoiled by a van, I will never go back to a car (especially while I have children)]. Ok....so that got taken car of. Then I get in the car, put it in drive and can't get it to go forward. I put it in reverse, same thing. I felt like I was in a rocket, reving this thing until it was going to just bust out of there...and then a LIGHT COMES ON. "The parking brake must be on." "So where in the heck is the parking brake on this thing?"...I'm muttering...and feeling stupid. Just a little bit annoyed, I locked the kids in the car and ran in to ask where the parking brake is? The guy comes out, points out that it's just right there (Right next to me in the middle between the seats). OK so I am nuts. (I've never had one like that). Just for fun, I decide to head to the park so the kids can play for awhile. Just as I'm getting out I find the keys to my van are STILL in my pocket. Get back in the Car, head to the Hertz place to take my keys back. Get in the car and head to the park, only this time I stopped at a different park. (So I have to admit that was a high light). After playing for awhile, we headed home for lunch. I get a call from Jonathan and he tells me that I shouldn't have gotten the insurance because our insurance will pay for it. NICE>(I bet the guy knew that I was a pushover--scaring me with "it's just better to be safe, than sorry" tactic.) So I call the Hertz store. I have to bring it in today if I want to be refunded. Can't do it over the phone because they have to inspect it. Nap time so I decide oh well, I'll go in tomorrow. Jonathan calls a little later, talks some sense into me. Might as well try and save money, so I pack the kids in the car, this time Chase is without shoes and Kaidence is wearing plastic princess shoes. Chase is screaming (happily) the whole way there and I get stuck at the train tracks, just a mile before my delightful Hertz destination. FINALLY, the train passes and I park right in front of Hertz. I lock my kids in the car and stand in the doorway of Hertz waving and keeping them entertained. The guy looks at me and says, "Oh, I know what you're here for". I'm sure the other guy I talked to on the phone warned him that the crazy lady who couldn't find the parking brake on the car is coming back in to cancel the insurance. So by the time I get there it's well past lunch and there are unhappy customers waiting, and waiting, while one Hertz guy is trying to manage the phones, the cars and (mind you no cars were available). I did feel sorry for him, even though he did hand a quarter to Kaidence early that morning and I was so worried she was going to pop it in her mouth or worse, hand it to Chase for him to choke on. Then, he inspects the car, says he'll cancel the insurance for the rest of the week, and adds that I still have to pay for the car today. GREAT! (I could have taken it in tomorrow). What a day..... Just keeping it real. That is just the day we all have sometimes huh? Just so you know, I feel better already. What would I do without this blog???? But Look! Jonathan's smiling. He came home sporting this Ford Mustang. I guess there are some perks to having your car totaled.

5 comments:

Staci Rocha said...

Sweet mustang! What a day! Isn't it nice to be able to vent and get it all out in writing. I hope everything works out. When you are having a day like that, having kids to haul around makes things twice as hard. I had to chuckle about the quarter comment because I am always paranoid about my kids choking on coins too. You survived the day and now you have a sweet car to drive around.

Keep Smilin :)

Teddy said...

No wonder our hair is having issues! Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh Min,
I've been slacking on my blog surfing and I didn't realize what a day you'd have. Yes....when it rains it pours sometimes and then you just have to sit back and laugh. Thankfully writing does wonders to improve my perspective on things too.
Love ya,
Marci

crush said...

Mindi! Just reading your blog tired me out! I'm ready for a nap!! I'm glad everything worked out and i hope you get your van soon!
Cami

CCmomma said...

What a perk!!! Love your blog and at least your all good! I'm adding you to my fam blog. See ya tomorrow. i got to see Kaidence in the playroom today! She's so cute!