Our Journey

Our Journey
Est. June 28th, 2003

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What are you willing to do for a dollar?????

Who knew that earning pennies, nickles, dimes, and don't forget the quarters, could be so much fun. Jonathan and I have started a new adventure in parenthood, and that is teaching our children the value of work, earning, tithing, saving and spending.
Some of you seasoned parents out there are probably feeling sorry for us right now and maybe chuckling a little, especially if you had seen me yesterday with all my kids in tow at Walmart at the checkout line. Picture Kaidence and Chase asking me a million times how much each item cost and moaning that their meager dollar and 40 cents was not going to make a great treat. :) The plot thickened as we strolled down the toy isle just to take a look. I must be Crazy! I think my kids decided right there and then that they would never ever make enough profit to earn a toy. I was thinking, what am I doing in Walmart? I should have ventured into the dollar store as to not destroy their potential excitement about the value of hard work. Well, I tell you, I think I was just about on my last nerve when I remembered that Walmart sells cheap hot wheels cars and lip gloss. That seemed to passify their desire for bigger and better things....
But the real kicker was the checkout line. Everyone knows that Walmart is famous for having 50 checkout stands and only 3 running right? So with a little luck, I snuck right behind 1 customer ahead of me. The kids all had their money and when we put the items up on the counter Kaidence was all about digging out her change, Sophia on the other had a death grip on her tin can and was floundering around, dishing out pennies to the happy and patient (you know I'm kidding right?) costumers behind me. One lady was holding all her items in her hand, I guess she decided not to get a cart that day, and I can just imagine how her eyes must have been rolling. I bet she wondered why I had taken so many kids with me to the store, she would have been shocked if I told her they were all mine. Alas, we paid for our stuff, Sophia salvaged some of her dropped pennies and in my attempt to dash away...the lady behind me with her arms full of stuff, kindly reminded me that I had left my items in the bag at the checkout stand.
I'm not sure if that adventure was worth the stress, but it makes for a great story and I guess a the good part is that Kaidence and Chase will be working a lot harder doing extra chores, like collecting "dog poop" before we take another shot at Walmart. :)

1 comment:

Marci Mendoza said...

Still laughing. Don't we wonder why we put ourselves in these situations sometimes. I think we are both doomed for these glorious moments. I've had my share. LOL!