Our Journey

Our Journey
Est. June 28th, 2003

Monday, June 27, 2011

The Storm

We have officially been initiated to the Midwest.
In the last few weeks we have been here, we have seen some amazing rainstorms...water falling in bucket fulls and sheet lightning, that is something else. But last night it was like a hurricane with 80 mile per/hour winds. It is kind-of scary to think we slept through the worst of it, while most people were gathering their families to the basement. I was awakened about 3 p.m. with scared children and no electricity. We were running into walls and trying to comfort them. Luckily we had a stash of flashlights in the kitchen. I happened to look out our front window and found that one of the trees had broken and fallen right onto the house and in front of the garage. Whew! That was a close one.
We were happy to see daylight and even more happy that the electricity came back on just in time for our sump pump to do it's job.
Today, it is a war zone in Quincy, Illionois. The mayor has officially claimed a state of emergency. While thousands are without electricity, we are are 1 of 3 houses in our whole neighborhood that have power and one of the few that has a dry basement. We are trying to help as much as we can. We love this community and how everyone is working together and looking after each other. This storm will pass, but it will be one we sure won't forget.

4 comments:

Heather S. said...

I am so glad you guys are all okay, that is super scary. The Lord surely kept you safe I am sure.

the supportive husband said...

Glad you are able to keep the basement dry...hopefully! :)

Staci Rocha said...

the weather in the midwest is CRAZY!!!!! I'm glad you are O.K

It's amazing how quickly it can flood during the rain storms. I was never scared of thunder and lighting growing up on the west coast but in the midwest i can understand how people can be scared of the booming thunder :)Good luck with the clean up!

blair and maisy said...

Wow! Crazy stuff. I wonder how long until the next one?