Our Journey

Our Journey
Est. June 28th, 2003

Friday, May 15, 2009

Victory!

It's amazing how the simplest things can mean sooooo much.
For me, today was one of those days when with awe and wonderment, I pushed my little clanaround Smith's Grocery Store. I admit that before I unloaded my bundle from the car we had a serious talk about acceptable behavior. I threatened them that if it didn't go down well that it would be a sad, sad, day for all of us. Then, like all good parents do, I used bribery as a back up plan and promised treats if our mission was successful. I guess I was really living on faith and motivation from deep down that got me in that store (that, and partly because, I had been putting it off for so long that we just had to get some food). I found the only cart available for 3 kids meaning: Kaidence and Chase were strapped on the back side of this machine-like contraption with seat belts and everything. I positioned Sophi on top of the cart like most parents do to save room for the groceries, but then thought better of it, since I couldn't see over her. So, that meant food was stuffed all around and under the cart. OK, so I got a lot of looks. One woman glared at me, (I guess I was taking up too much room down the isle). Another lady passed me by shaking her head almost with a gasp, but politely. I was secretly hoping she was impressed with my well managed brood. Most people think you are crazy for having more than two children, and even two is pushing it, accept for the ones who meet you at the park or go to church with you. Ok! So honestly, that cart was way too heavy and bulky for me to be pushing around, in fact it was almost longer than the freight carts they use to unload groceries from, but the fact that my children were strapped to it made it worth it. I looked like everything was so under control...... and you know what???? Joy of Joys, it really was!!! I felt like announcing over the intercom; "Have you seen that mother with her 3 kids? Yes that's right! She has 3 kids and you wouldn't believe how calmly she is strolling down the isle undisturbed, list in hand, talking to her children with kindness and weaving through all the isles like a pro. Nope! Nothing is going to stop that Mom. Those kids are so well behaved. Wow! She really has it under control. How does she do that? That is Amazing?" Ok, so I don't really need that kind of attention, but I was so proud of my children that you would have thought they had won some prestigious awards, and they had in my book. Liberty and Victory never felt better.

The next victory to be noted in my book today, is the fact that Sophia has been consistently sleeping 10 to 12 consecutive hours at night for the past 2 weeks. Wow! Sleep can really make or break you. I feel like a new person. I actually willfully wake up now, refreshed and sometimes even ready to start the day before my children are awake.

Victory number 3 to be mentioned is the fact that Chase has finally decided he wants to use the toilet. Ok, so maybe that has something to do with his fascination with flushing it and watching water and toilet paper go down it, but at least he is willing to try. And....he made "we,we" twice today. (That's what they call on the video we checked out from the library.) It is a little cheesy, but who cares if it gets your child to give it a try. :)

*Bonus for me is the fact that Kaidence follows him around like a little cheerleader, encouraging and praising his every attempt. What could be more exciting for a little brother to have so much praise and attention. :)

Lastly, I want to share a fun experienced we have had as a family. Thanks to cousin Kathryn, who captured a little caterpillar for us a few weeks ago, we have been or I should say, Kaidence and Chase have been anxiously anticipating the event that their butterfly "Hala" would emerge from its cocoon. It happened on Monday when I looked up at the mason jar on our stand and saw something flitting around. The excitement was so thick! Kaidence and Chase were jumping around and celebrating their beautiful butterfly. So even though it was Moth, their excitement was contagious and we celebrated along with them and talked them into releasing it into the great outdoors.

Here's a sneak peak!

Life is amazing, especially if you stop to appreciate
the simple things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mindi that is so cool. I think Ember and Rem are going to be busy searching for catepillars. That's too funny it was a moth....but at least it had wings and they could set it free.
Congratulations on the shopping victory. Those really are the best kind and the hardest won. :)

Maren said...

Way to go Mindi. I love reading your posts. You're such a great mom.