Our Journey

Our Journey
Est. June 28th, 2003

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What Is A Girl?

"A little girl likes new shoes, party dresses, small animals, first grade, noisemakers, the girl next door, dolls, make-believe, dancing lessons, ice cream, kitchens, coloring books, makeup, cans of water, going visiting, tea parties, and one boy. She doesn't care so much for visitors, boys in general, large dogs, hand-me-downs, straight chairs, vegetables, snowsuits, or staying in the front yard. She is loudest when you are thinking, the prettiest when she has provoked you, the busiest at bedtime, the quietest when you want to show her off, and the most flirtatious when she absolutely must not get the best of you again." ----------Alan Beck---------- Yesterday was magical as a friend and I got together to take our girls out for an adventure. We celebrated Hannah's 4th birthday (Kaidence's friend) by going to a Salon to have their cute little nails pampered and painted the color of their choice. It was a dream for these little princesses and a memory I will cherish for a long time. I just loved watching their little eyes light up and seeing their sweet little hands so calm and patient. I remember how my own mother and older sister Marquelle did such special things for Marci and I when we were little. It is fun to be able to build these happy memories with my own daughter.

Here's to Nail Polish

Hannah, Lacey, Kaidence

Happy Birthday Hannah! Kaidence's sweet little hand. I knew she'd pick pink. My little Princess!
--- The finished product---
Next, we took them to "The Artful Potter" where the girls picked out their own ceramic molds to paint. It was kind of comical to realize how much we as mothers were worrying about the colors they picked and how they were painting their pieces. The more I think about it the more I realize how easy it is as a mom to step in and try to make things look perfect. But really, when it comes right down to it, in 10 years what I will really cherish is not how beautiful it turned out, but how much I loved the perfect little hands that created all those smears and smudges.
Creativity at work...
seeing through the eyes of a child.... Kaidence's heart jewelery box
Motherhood is a journey of the heart. It is up to us to let it be so...let those little girls (and boys) be little and enjoy the journey of childhood.

5 comments:

Heather S. said...

That's so precious, what a wonderful thing to record. You'll be so glad you have that recorded to remember.

Maren said...

It is so fun having a little girl- they really are blessings from above. I loved the quote!

Anonymous said...

The song, the pictures, the quotes......I can't even see the computer screen now. You captured it all so beautifully.
That's such a fun idea.

Teddy said...

What fun! I want to come next time:)

Nancy said...

What a fun little day you guys had. I will have to remember that for when my little girls are a little bit bigger.