It became my obsession to complete a little Tepee tent for Sophia's upcoming 3rd birthday. I started the project the day before and found out that in my genius knack for doing things my own way I had run into some major problems. I'm the kind of person that likes to sing my own harmony, (seriously, now that I'm in the church choir, I've really had to pay attention to my part and follow along with the 2nd altos). I like to add a few different spices to recipes, take a different route to the grocery store and just enjoy trying things out my style. Well, that created a little bit of stress for me yesterday when I decided to make my own tepee pattern. I delighted in the idea of being frugal and dove into all my scraps of fabric and even went as far as cutting up some of the kid's fleece blankets in order to make a memorable piece of work. After a day of sewing strips together and measuring over and over, I had what I thought was just a beautiful display of creative sewing. That's when I realized, oh yeah, I have to cut this thing out. So I looked to my abandoned pattern and did exactly what it said: fold in half, then fold into a triangle, then cut a half circle. By the time I was finished I was mad! It seems I had cut too much fabric away and my tent was nothing more than a pitiful mesh of blankets to be embarrassingly displayed on pvc pipe that was cut too long and made for gaping holes at the bottom. I was distraught. Seriously, when a mother spends this much time making something for her child and realizes it was in vain....that is not good news. Kaidence noticed my frustration and was visibly upset. I explained to her how hard I had worked on this project and how bad I felt that it didn't work. She seemed to understand from childhood experiences, like we have all had, that some of our best planned schemes don't always pan out. So I did what a good parent should do :) and I promised her that I wouldn't let it ruin my life and tried to make a positive outcome out of a negative one by telling her that some times things just don't work out like we planned, but that's ok.
Well, to make a very long story a lot shorter....I spent a sleepless night scheming how to turn my project from shambles into a masterpiece. My conclusion....make a skirt for the tent.
So, I spent most of Friday caring for sick children and sewing while I let everything else fly in the wind. IT WAS AWESOME! I can proudly report that I was more patient than I think I've ever been and took the unique opportunity to teach Kaidence and Chase how to sew. It was really an experience. It's amazing how capable children are when we give them a chance.

If that wasn't enough, Kaidence decided to come up with her own creative scheme and this included crushed up animal crackers in jello, spread on a whole wheat cracker, with a couple of marshmallows for texture and a delightful finishing touch of red jello juice. (Have I mentioned how captivated my children are by the food network channel?)

With Chase as her helper or partner in crime, they invited a willing participant to try their product. Chase informed me that each cracker cost 8 dollars.
What kind of expression is that? The answer is up to your interpretation.
Well, the Good news is....I completed my project.....the kids sewed some pillows....and afterwards I flew through the house spraying disinfect, cleaning up odds and ends and putting the house together with just enough time to throw some blush on my cheeks and brush my teeth before Jonathan got home from work.
4 comments:
Mindi, the teepee looks great! You are such a great mom!!! I hope everyone is feeling better.
Turned out great! Can't wait til you are germ free so we can come play!
You should write a book on the adventures of motherhood. It would fly off the shelves I'm sure. :) LOL! So glad the Tepee project worked out and it is soooo cute. Looks like Sophia loves it too. I need to be better and just let things "FLy in the wind." It would make my life much easier :) Love ya.
It is so funny to read what you write and your experiences!!! The tepee looks great and your kids will have many good times playing with it. I hope the flu bug passes quickly! Take Care :)
Post a Comment